A priest named Nikolai first introduced the Russian Orthodoxy to Japan when he visited Hakodate in 1861. This elegant Byzantine-style Church was rebuilt in 1916. The bells at the Nikolai Hall of Kanda, Tokyo were moved from here in 1928.
The church is also affectionately called “Gangan-dera” (Ding-dong temple).
Donations are required for sight seeing. The church is a fifteen minute walk up the Daisanzaka-slope from the Jujigai Street Car Stop.