The first Russian consul general Goskevich came to his post in Hakodate in 1858. The current consulate was built in 1908, and served as a Russian Consulate until 1944 when the last consul was repatriated. A part of the second floor is made in half-timbered style, the red bricks contrasting well with the white mortar.
During World War II, the Japanese government got nervous about the building because one could clearly view the ships coming into the port from the ground floor porch. The paranoid Japanese government made a tall fence/wall around the building to block the view of the port.
Since 1965 this building served as the “Southern Hokkaido Youth House” of Hakodate City, was used for lodging and training. Unfortunately the interior is no longer open for the public.
The consulate is about a ten minute walk from the “Saiwaizaka-slope” bus stop toward Mount Hakodate.